Pavakka theeyal is one of the traditional dish of Kerala. This dish is usually made with roasted coconut. But in this recipe I didn’t put any coconut, here it is a gravy of bitter gourd, onions, green chillies, fenugreek seeds and some spice powders.
Fenugreek seeds are very important ingredient for this recipe; moreover it also have many health benefits. Bitter gourd is also rich in iron, so definitely I can say that this a healthy recipe. Pavakka theeyal goes nicely with boiled rice. Try this easy recipe…
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Cuisine: Indian, Kerala
- 2 medium bitter gourd (thin long sliced)
- 1 large sliced onions
- 3 sliced green chillies
- 2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 3-4 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 strip of curry leaves
- 1 tsp of red chilly powder
- 2 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup of water
- tamarind (2 medium tamarind strip or one lemon size)
- 1/4 cup of water for soaking tamarind
- Soak tamarind in water.
- Heat oil in a pan, then add bitter gourd, onions, green chillies, curry leaves and fenugreek seeds in medium flame.Make sure that it doesn’t get burnt.
- Stir till all the ingredients become soft and tender, then add all the spice powders and sauté until raw smell disappears.
- Then add water and let it boil.
- After that add tamarind pulp and salt.
- Allow the gravy to thick in medium flame.
- Let it rest for 20-30 mins to settle all the flavours.
- Serve with rice.
PAVAKKA THEEYAL STEP BY STEP RECIPE
- Soak tamarind in water,then heat oil in a pan and add onions, bitter gourd, fenugreek seeds, curry leaves. Stir until it become tender,soft and light brown, don’t burnt.
- Stir all the ingredients till it become tender, soft and light brown, then add all the spice powders.
3.Saute the all the powder until raw smell disappears ,then add water and let it boil.
4.Add the tamarind pulp into the boiling gravy. Strain the pulp before pouring.
5.Add salt and allow the gravy to boil in low flame to get a medium thick consistency.
6.Let the curry to rest for 20-30 mins to settle all the flavours.
- Medium thickness is enough for the gravy because after cooling the curry gets the correct consistency.