Upma is one of the easy recipe to prepare and it is a simple breakfast for our late and lazy mornings. It is a common south Indian and Sri Lankan Tamil breakfast dish cooked as a thick porridge of fry or dry roasted semolina or course rice flour or broken wheat.The most common preparation in north India is to prepare dalia with some vegetables.
Broken wheat upma can be prepared in a pan ,kadai or pressure cooker.It is healthier than semolina/sooji upma or rice rava upma. You can put your favourite vegetables.I like to use some ghee to get good smell and taste. Here I am showing upma recipe without veggies.
- 2 tbsp of oil
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp green chillies
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 cup of broken wheat
- 1 cup of water
- Heat oil in a cooker add mustard, allow them to splutter.
- Then add onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves sauté until raw smell disappears.
- Add water and let it boil, then add washed broken wheat, ghee and salt, stir well.
- Put the lid of the cooker and cook till first whistle comes, in a medium flame.
- Let the pressure down naturally ,open the cooker.
- Serve hot with your favourite side. Pickle or banana or papad goes well.
STEP BY STEP BROKEN WHEAT UPMA RECIPE
- put mustard seeds in hot oil, let it splutter.
2.Add onions, ginger, green chillies, curry leaves stir for few seconds, then add water ,salt, ghee and let it boil, then put washed broken wheat.
3.Close the lid of cooker, and wait for one whistle in medium flame, after that switch off the flame .
4.Let the pressure comes down naturally, then open the lid, and serve hot!!!
- You can add your favourite veggies at step 2 then continue with step 3.
- You can also prefer chana dal, urad dal or peanuts roast till golden brown.